Thursday, April 28, 2005

Copyright and IP

Deconstructing Stupidity

A controversial topic. I am sure there are about 6 billion distinct opinions on this issue but I think the article raises some valid questions about the abuse of IP laws and the claim that stronger IP laws always promote innovation.

I was reminded of an example in my last post : Bill Gates taking material that was formerly in the public domain - paintings from 15+ public galleries - and acquiring copyrights for their digital reproduction. What a great incentive for future Monets, Manets and Tippy-Tippy-Day-Days -- one day you're gonna be pimped out by Bill Gates and the money goes to Corbis.

I also think the author's solution is quite interesting - do an approximate cost/benefit analysis on a case by case basis to determine how much protection is necessary/useful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home