Tuesday, April 19, 2005

How do you pick a job?

ISB Graduation Day Speech by Rajat Gupta

Before I got into the corporate world, I had two simple criteria of appoximately the same importance. First (courtesy, my advisor) - imagine the best possible outcome of the pursuit; if it compels you to spend the rest of your life trying to make it happen, you've found a pursue-worthy project. Second - your colleagues have to be smarter, more hard-working and more ambitious than you. 'You are the company you keep' kinda thing.

Having worked for a few months, I am increasingly realizing that the single most important criterion has to be the learning/growth opportunites a job presents to you. You can work on a fine project and accomplish a lot; but if you aren't 'learning' enough, you might want to reconsider your pursuits.

So, imagine my surprise when I found this speech. Curiously, these criteria are not specific to just professional (yes, our other favorite pastime) pursuits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home